The Avs And Some Random Thoughts
Some quick thoughts as I take a break from researching snow blowers. Damn, no good global warming really messed up my driveway last winter by not showing the eff up.
– Very impressed with the Colorado Avalanche so far this year. That team is just stacked with youth. This Landeskog kid looks real good. And you know what, I think I may have been wrong by mocking Sherman for giving up a 1st rounder for Varlamov. Though let the record show that I was just joining in with the mob on that one!
Of course, I say all this after they beat the Sens 7-1 and that could prove to be the high point of their season. All down hill from here!*
* Nah, they’ll be fine.
– Luongo has been fantastic in his first two games. Fantastic at making snow angels that is. Granted, he always starts off slow but you’ve got to wonder if we’re going to see him decline from now on. Say what you want about him, he’s been a pretty damn good goalie over the years. If not for his mental issues, he could have been great. Just don’t see much positives there anymore at 32 years of age. It’s a prime age for handsome bloggers such as yours truly to make their mark on the world but not goalies with 12 years of experience in the league already.
So what would you do if you were the Canucks? I’d really have a hard time trading Cory Schneider. In fact, I think I’d do everything I can to try to convince Schneider to sign on for a couple more years with the promise that if he keeps up his stellar play, he’d have every shot at taking over as the starter.
This also once again points out the danger of these long contracts. They’re always good for the short-term but so many things change yearly that they’re really a death sentence in the long run.
– Don Cherry is a good guy. I don’t care what people say about him and his opinions, to me, he’ll always be a good guy. I believe at the end of the day he means well. I don’t agree with everything he says but there are also many things I do agree on. I guess that’s bound to happen when you voice opinions on touchy subjects every week. And there’s something that differentiates Cherry from guys like Roenick or Milbury or other loudmouths whether they be in politics or whatever. I’m not sure what it is; It may be childhood memories of watching Coach’s Corner; Or it may be that he doesn’t strike me as someone who’s fake like so many of these shock jocks do.
Maybe it’s because of his age. The more I think about it, the more I think that’s the thing. Because if someone younger was saying that, I probably wouldn’t feel the same. You gotta admire a man who has forged his own beliefs over his lifetime and sticks by them. No matter how much of a sonofabitch you think he is, you still gotta respect him for that. And I do.
– But his comments about Nilan were all wrong. Because from what I read, Nilan did not say what Cherry said he said.
– That’s all for now. I’ll leave you with this: If you’re not watching Boardwalk Empire on HBO, you’re missing out. By far the best show going right now, imo.